Time estimate: 25 minutes
To save your references (and full text) you can use either RefWorks or Mendeley. RefWorks is currently the tool that is fully supported by the library and university IT. However, If you like to have full text PDFs right inside your account, Mendeley is the way to go and very user friendly. You can always switch later if you wish, and export the references you already have.
1. Start Mendeley desktop and creat an account (also for access to the web version that is important for synchronising across devices)
2. Create a folder on your hard drive (C: on your laptop, U: on university computers; it can even be a Dropbox folder) where you will be storing full text files of papers
3. In Mendeley desktop go to tools|options to configure a watch folder pointing at the folder you have just now created on your hard disk
4. Log in at Mendeley web and go to My Library|Web importer and put the Mendeley“ button/bookmarklet on the bookmarks/favorites toolbar of your browser
5. As a test: carry out a simple search in the search engines below and save the full text of at least one paper in the folder you created.
6. As a test: go to Worldcat and find a relevant book title. Using the button on your browser favorites toolbar import the bibliographic details of the book into Mendeley
7. Go back to Mendeley desktop and click the sync button in the main menu. Your publications should now be listed here.
Anyone writing papers and citing sources may save time by storing, managing, sharing and citing by using a literature management tool. With RefWorks, a programme supported by Utrecht University, you can, whenever you are online:
On the RefWorks website you can create an account. You may also install a small tool on your computer which makes citing in Word easier. RefWorks is free for members of the Utrecht University community. It is also available for alumni, as long as the university has a licence.
In the special RefWorks-LibGuide (in Dutch) you will find import tips, solutions to any problems and further details.
Mendeley is a free (up to 2 GB) reference management tool comparable to RefWorks, Endnote, Zotero etc. It is a combination of a fast and powerful desktop application with an online account for web services. It stands out for its social functions (groups, sharing, community).
Mendeley is particulalarly helpful if your workflow is based on collecting full text PDFs of relevant literature. It often automatically extracts bibliographic data. Of course it also supports importing of bibliographic records from Google Scholar, Scopus, Web of Science, CiteSeerX, PubMed, Worldcat and many other scholarly search engines.
Mendeley is pre-installed on all Library computers. You need to create an account at mendeley.com
More information on Mendeley will be in the LibGuide Mendeley (under construction)